Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Killing Babies and Taking Names!

"Collaborative work is the result of lots of disagreement"

- Joe Scorsone

I don't think I could agree more, sometimes very frustrating and long exhausting disagreements. But hopefully it all ends up wel right? I have never really worked in a team atmosphere and this year I have learned more than anything that it is a very hard thing to master. All of my other interns have a lot of great ideas and are all great people, but I think we all agree that our personal idea is better, which is something I realized is a learning process. Sometimes what you are thinking, isn't the best for the project. Learning to just step back and realize that someone else has a better idea is a skill that they don't tell you that you need on your resume.

Here in ad agency world I was let in on a little tagline they use around here which is, "Don't be sad when we start killing your babies." Which is very true when you work on an idea for a couple weeks it becomes your baby then go into a meeting and they just say no, it always will hurt. You gotta have thick skin and realize they aren't saying it sucks, but for what they want it isn't the right direction.

If I could give any advice to underclassmen, it would be ask for criticism of your work. From anyone and everyone, what they say about your work or tear it down a little. Will help you realize that everyone has different opinions and you just gotta step back say thanks for the feedback and move on!

To continue on with my day, we are still working on the same project and we had a meeting with a VP today to explain it! We got all of our vehicles of getting the information out approved but are still working on an overlaying concept for the project. Any ideas shoot them my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment